Search This Blog

29 May 2024

Leo Baxendale's 'Supercomic'

Just a reminder that these 2 Baxendale pages go under the hammer later today, I'll update with prices realised post-auction.

Leo Baxendale's proposed Supercomic is surely one of the great lost British comics. As he says (on page 86 of his autobiography A very funny business)... 
I conceived the idea of a monthly comic - Supercomic. Monthly comics are common enough in America, but not in Britain. My intention was that four week's work poured into one issue would produce a truly super-comic. I circulated publishers with the idea, and Odhams took it as an affront.  

It looks like (to me anyway, please tell me if I'm wrong!) that auctioneers Ewbank's have another 2 pages of Supercomic coming up for sale later this month in their comics auction on Wednesday 29th May at noon.

The very first lot (lot 4001) is here with an estimate of £200 - £400 and starting bids at £100. This is the first page of the Fort Fumble strip.
sold for £260 (plus commission etc)


The 2nd lot of the auction (lot 4002) is here 
with an estimate of £200 - £400 and starting bids at £100.  This is the second page of the Fort Fumble strip.
sold for £260 (plus commission etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment