Search This Blog

5 December 2018

A collector's guide to Robin comic spin-off books

I've long collected the Eagle comic spin-off novels (like Dan Dare on Mars and Storm Nelson and the Sea Leopard) but I've also branched out and collected the equivalent from Swift and Girl (blog postings for another day!) 


The 4th title in the Hulton press range of titles was Robin - the title aimed at youngest readers. Perhaps because of this Robin is the least collected (and documented) of the Hulton titles. 

Recently I came across a title I'd never seen before and in trying to research the Robin spin-off books more discovered that there wasn't really anywhere obvious to go, so I thought I should just present all the Robin spin-off books (rather than annuals) I have here...


Illustrators are as follows:
Yellow - Jenetta Vise and David Walsh
White - Evelyn Cuthbertson, Nina Ross
Pink - Marcia Lane Foster and Paddie Spratley
Orange - Eccles Williams and Sabin Schweitzer
no colour - not to hand so no details, sorry



Publication dates are:
Yellow - 1960
White - 1960
Pink - 1961
Orange - 1961
no colour - 1959


Bible stories (Old and New testament) are illustrated by Ann and Janet Johnstone 



Both volumes published 1961...lovely wraparound covers


This is the new book I bought, unlike all the books above (which are small hardback books, 150-160 pages long) this is softback, 32 pages long 

I've tried to give an indication in the difference in size between this slim paperback volume and the 'chunkier' hardback story book.


No comments:

Post a Comment