Search This Blog

16 April 2021

Dolphin comic

I've looked plenty of times before at advertising comics (check out this link) to see them all, but today's example is a new one on me.

An interesting lot (and a lot that's attracting a lot of interest) in the latest phil-comics auction here is this very smart looking comic magazine produced by a department store in Letchworth in the late 1950s.

The lot  is a dozen issues...
volume 4, #6 (1958)
volume 6, #10 & 12 (1958)
volume 7, #4, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 (1959)
volume 8, #1, 2, 4 (1960)





"Specially produced for the young friends of Foster and Scott, Letchworth". Foster and Scott were a menswear and boys school uniform shop in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire.


This strip looks, to me, like it was drawn by a young Ron Embleton - what do you think?


At the time of typing bids had reached £99 but I reckon it'll go higher than that. Collecting a full set of these seems impossible now but the level of interest in these indicates to me that there's some good stuff in these. Good luck if you bid!


UPDATE: I've now found some more images and these clearly show a different retailer on the front cover. I assume therefore it was a magazine that retailers could purchase and then amend 'personalise' with their own stamp / branding in some way. These 2 comics are for sale for £40 here




No comments:

Post a Comment