Search This Blog

30 May 2021

UPDATED: The reference books of Lofts & Adley

I enjoy collecting reference material relating to British comics and I've always been aware that my collection of such material by the (kings of comic referencing) Derek Adley & W.O.G. Lofts was a bit thin on the ground.

That got me wondering about precisely how many book and booklets they'd produced, so without further ado here is my guide to what I've found so far (albeit I expect there is plenty more to be discovered)...the first two publications have been added since my original post here 

Catalogue of boys and girls annual, 1982

The men behind boys' fiction, 1970

The 'Gem' index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1981

The 'Rookwood stories' index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1994

The 'Detective weekly' index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1987


'Old boys books - a complete catalogue' by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1969

'The world of Frank Richards' by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1975

'The Hotspur' - a catalogue 1933-1959 by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts

I've also seen the above book with a pink cover and an interior note that says 'first edition - September 1983 - limited edition of 200 copies'. So I'm not sure how the yellow cover version fits in to the chronology - maybe a later edition?
UPDATE: I've been reliably informed that the yellow edition was indeed the 2nd edition (published by Bryon Whitworth who took over publication from Alan Cadwallender (who published the first (pink) edition)).


Origins of the Boys Friend Library by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1987

The new Rupert index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts

The new Rupert index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts

Identification guide to the DC Thomson and John Leng children's annuals 1921-1964 by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1975

'William' - a bibliography by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts

Greyfriars since the Magnet by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1983

The Thriller, 1983
image not to hand - can you help?


The Thriller: the paper with a thousand thrills, 1990
image not to hand - can you help?

You can check out the WOG Lofts entry on wikipedia here

No comments:

Post a Comment