Search This Blog

1 January 2021

Graeme Neil Reid - early (not) Commando work

I've looked before (here) on a few different occasions about the work of illustrator Graeme Neil Reid so I'm including this post for the sake of completeness of looking at the early art of an artist I really like.

Apologies for the blurry photos below but they're lifted from an ebay listing here for an item that ends on 2nd Jan just before 3pm - as I write this bidding is at £10 - but I'll let Graeme himself explain what this item is...




I've been contacted by a chap on email about an item that has been listed on Ebay asking if it is genuine. First up I'm not the seller and the info given is very brief but could be misunderstood.
When I was about 17 or 18 and in my first years of college I had an appointment at the DC Thomson Ltd offices in Dundee. I'd been before a year or so previous and this was a return visit to try and tempt them to hire me in some capacity or other. I painted two war pictures and created dummy Commando covers with titles and logos etc to show them. The item on Ebay is one of those dummy covers.
So yes that is an original painting I did at about aged 17. It isn't a real cover for Commando. The text etc is on an acetate layer. I sold the two dummies at a convention in Bristol maybe back in 2005, I don't think the seller is the person who bought it.
The only interest in the dummies I got from DCT was asking how I'd got their logos for the acetate 😄 At least I got to paint a few actual Commando cover later in my life.

If, like me, you like Graeme's art than you can find his website here and you can follow him on Twitter as @GraemeNeilReid

Also check out this link

SOLD for £29

No comments:

Post a Comment