Search This Blog

16 August 2022

UPDATED: The reference books of Lofts & Adley

I've added in 2 more versions of the Rupert index - but need someone who knows more about Rupert than I do to tell me if I've got all the editions of the Rupert index (and what the publications dates are).

I enjoy collecting reference material relating to British comics and I've always been aware that my collection of such material by the (kings of comic referencing) Derek Adley & W.O.G. Lofts was a bit thin on the ground. 

That got me wondering about precisely how many book and booklets they'd produced, so without further ado here is my guide to what I've found so far (albeit I expect there is plenty more to be discovered) 

The 'Gem' index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1981

The 'Rookwood stories' index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1994

The 'Detective weekly' index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1987


'Old boys books - a complete catalogue' by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1969

'The world of Frank Richards' by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1975

'The Hotspur' - a catalogue 1933-1959 by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts

I've also seen the above book with a pink cover and an interior note that says 'first edition - September 1983 - limited edition of 200 copies'. So I'm not sure how the yellow cover version fits in to the chronology - maybe a later edition?


Origins of the Boys Friend Library by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1987

The new Rupert index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 2001

The new Rupert index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1991

The Rupert index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, undated
taken from an ebay listing which noted "undated, 3rd printing". 
I'm assuming this version is different from the one below in some manner (that is, the owner of the index below hasn't just coloured in the cover!)

The Rupert index by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, undated
taken from an ebay listing which noted "index of all Rupert publications up to 1977"


Identification guide to the DC Thomson and John Leng children's annuals 1921-1964 by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1975

'William' - a bibliography by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts

Greyfriars since the Magnet by Derek Adley and W.O.G. Lofts, 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment