Search This Blog

13 January 2019

Marvel UK's James Bond jr cover gallery

I'm slowly collecting Marvel UK's James Bond jr title and now have issues 1-6 and 9 (cover scans below). The UK versions of this title don't seem to come up for sale very often so I can only assume that the series wasn't a big success. 

I was convinced that there were only 9 issues in this series but doing a bit go googling I found the slightly odd cover for issue 10 which I include below. Why is it odd?
a) it's described as 'alternative cover' - alternative to what?
b). what's with the odd purple swirly logo? Why doesn't it say Marvel UK?
c). if it's an alternative cover then what does the regular cover to issue 10 look like? 

Can you help me? Thanks

All cover (and interior) art by Mario Capaldi








9 comments:

  1. Correct me if I’m wrong- it’s after my time at MUK - but isn’t there a point where the “U.K.” is dropped on all titles from the banner. The ‘swirl’ is the film series intro graphic also used as a background to the cover of Issue One

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, John, that's just what I was about to look up - as I recognised that 'Marvel' font from one of the other comics at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure it was used on one of the specials around that time. But yes, they went from using just a Marvel line in the corner boxes to a full-blown adaption of the then US logo, saying Marvel UK, and then they switched to using a standard Marvel US logo from that period when Marvel had bought Panini in the mid 1990s, merging the two offices into one and bringing in the Panini management after Paul Neary's departure. When Marvel sold Panini in 1999, as part of their obligations under the Chapter 11 deal, the UK wing of Marvel went with them, as can be seen from changes to the copyright in all January 2000 dated issues and with the Marvel US logo vanishing from the front cover of Doctor Who Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard - does #10 give any indication if there's an #11? There were only twelve issues of the US title, so curious to know if they ran them all or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob, I don't have #10 - I just found that image while researching this piece so can't help, sorry. I thought JB Jr finished with #9 but now I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, no 10 stated it was the last issue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Richard, just wandering what it would take for you to scan the issues you have and make them available to those eager to read them (Like me!) I'd obviously be happy to pay for the service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - contact me via rsheaf2001ATyahoo.co.uk [replacing the AT with @ and we'll sort something out no problem]

      Delete